All too often those of us in IT just want the problem fixed so we can go onto the next issue. That kind of mentality guarantees we’ll face the same issues over and over again. Always hold a post-mortem after the fact to determine:
- What went wrong?
- What could we have done better?
- Is this issue likely to happen again?
- If so, what can we do to prevent it next time?
- Is additional training needed?
- How can we obtain this training?
- Are additional safeguards required?
- How can we ensure all responsible staff know about this issue?
It should be stressed that finger-pointing and “blame games” are counter-productive. This step should be approached via a team perspective so as to guarantee the best success for the business going forward.